Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sad day for the Fisher family.

Today is a day of mourning for the Fisher family. My Grandfather on my father's side passed away yesterday. Apparently he went to sleep and didn't wake up. It was very unexpected.
As I found out the news yesterday, I didn't quite know how to take it. But as I have progressed through today I find myself becoming increasingly sad.

I have a lot of good memories with my Grandfather. There was the time he took me on a special trip in his plane. We flew to the beach, walked along the beach at sunset, slept under the wings of the plane. Then we flew to breakfest at a near by airport and had breakfest with all of his flying buddies. It was a wonderful day for me.

There was also the time that he took my brother and I up in his plane and did flips, and loopy loops (which scared my mother half to death) making all the neighborhood kids jealous.

My Grandfather would come see us once a year and his tradition was to take us out to breakfast. As a teenager my siblings and I use to joke that breakfast with Grandpa was his attempt at making sure our lives were in order and he would give his opinions on where we think our lives should be headed. As I got older and developed a family of my own, he would still take us out for breakfast, but all he would talk about were his Great Grandkids and how life was for all of us.

I loved my Grandfather deeply and I will miss him. Although I didn't get to see him very often, I know he loved us and cared for us. I hope my Grandmother (who is one of my favorite people in the world) is going to be okay. The nice thing about being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ is the knowledge that families are eternal and that though gives me great comfort and happiness.

Grandpa, I love you and hope I make you proud.

4 comments:

Amy said...

I'm sorry about your grandpa, Richard. That was a lovely post about him.

Nicki said...

I've been so sad the last couple of days and haven't had the strength yet to blog about it. Your stories brought back many fond memories and again I am crying. I am emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausted. I guess this is all more than I can handle.

Lauren in GA said...

I am really sorry for your loss, Richard and Nicki...

This was a beautiful tribute to him, Richard.

Glenn and Melanie said...

Richard,
I am sorry about the loss of your granpa. Sometimes it is the losses that help us remember the good times. I will keep you in my prayers.
Love ya